This is the first post of what will be a series of articles on nutrigenomics. Nutrigenomics is how nutrients in the food you eat or the supplements you take interact with your genome, your genetic makeup. It goes beyond just one input yielding one output. We will discuss how various genetic variations (which can now be tested for a couple of hundred of dollars) affect you as an individual. It is using your unique genetic code to know what type of diet you should be eating and what you should be avoiding.
While the field is nutrigenomics is new – I can tell you that it is amazingly exciting – there are some landmark studies that we will go through – which I will translate from “medical-ese” into simple to understand concepts. I will also be helping you should you wish to get these tests done yourself.
It is important for the following reasons.
- Understanding your genetic code as it relates to you as a unique individual will allow you to make definitive decisions about your food choices and be confident that this is right for you.
- It will prevent you from being confused by the media reports of new studies when it comes to any of the specific 7 nutrients we will be discussing in these posts.
- Understanding the concept that “food is information” which was coined by my friend JJ Virgin. You will start to see how the body really functions and how certain nutrients really act as signals to your genes. The way your genes respond is unique to you. Understanding how these signals work is easier than you think.
- The future of medicine is in your hands – it’s you becoming your own authority in health. Learning this will be important to this revolution!
- You will understand basic genetic concepts as they pertain not only to nutrition but to the rapidly expanding fields of genetics as they relate to other systems in the body.
This is a rapidly advancing field and I think you will see with the studies that we will be discussing in the following posts that we already have some great information that leads to practical life changes and guidance you can be confident in making. I am super excited to be sharing this knowledge with you and updating you on the latest advances! Sign up for my newsletter above to be notified of new posts.
and as always leave your comments below . . . .